Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:11:14 +0000
From:      "Lee Harr" <missive@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem

>I have problem in configuring XFree86 in FreeBSD 4.7
>
>I  try  to configure it after installation. I used graphical
>tool and textmode utility too.
>
>The result is often the same:
>
>"The  XFree86  configuration  process  seems to have failed.
>Would you like to try again?"

have you tried this:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

My usual configuration steps are:

1)  XFree86 -configure
2)  edit the XF86Config.new to put in the mouse information
      (i use device "/dev/psm0" and type "auto")
3)  Try it again:
      XFree86 -xf86config XF86Config.new
4)  repeat until it works
5)  post specific excerpts from /var/log/XFree86.0.log and/ or
      XF86Config.new if you have problems