Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 1995 13:54:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   1200-baud connections into 14.4Kb modem on 2.0.5

Since I upgraded our university's modem server from 1.1.5.1 to 2.0.5 a few
weeks ago, our users with 1200-baud modems can't get a login prompt when
they dial into our 14.4Kb modems which have an initial speed of 19.2Kb and
should autobaud down to 1200 after a few carriage returns -- they used to
work under 1.1.5.1, and I've checked /etc/gettytab extensively for errors.

All other speeds -- 14.4Kb, 9600, and 2400 -- seem to work OK. I've tried
dialing in at 1200 baud myself, and it seems that getty is ignoring all
input -- even sending a BREAK doesn't seem to coax getty into a speed
change.  I put a 2400-baud modem on our modem server, and it accepted
logins at 1200 and 300 baud without any trouble...  If it matters, all of
the modems are on a BocaBoard 2016.

The only substantive difference I see between the 1.1.5 and 2.0.5
/usr/src/libexec/getty is in main() where a signal(SIGQUIT, SIG_DFL); is
now a signal(SIGQUIT, SIG_IGN);, but it doesn't seem that this should
make a difference.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Guy Helmer

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu

Government cannot give to people what it does not first take away from people.
  - Kenneth W. Sollitt