Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 13:25:44 -0600
From:      "Paul D. Schmidt" <pds@uberhacker.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum partition type question

I had a concat vinum volume up and running for several months, then
today I went and tried to create a raid10 volume, but I am getting
the following error when trying to do a vinum create:

vinum -> create vinum.conf
   1: drive a device /dev/wd1s1
** 1 Drive a has invalid partition type: Inappropriate file type or format
   2: drive b device /dev/wd3s1
** 2 Drive b has invalid partition type: Inappropriate file type or format

According to the manual, mailing list postings, etc, you're supposed to
have the partition type set to 'vinum', which I do: (or think I do)

------------------

/dev/wd1s1:

#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 25414767        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1581*)
  e: 25414767        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 1581*)

-------------------

/dev/wd3s1:

#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 33750801        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 33482*)
  e: 33750801        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 33482*)

--------------------

I know the second drive is bigger than the first one, but I'm just using
a volume that is big enough to fit on the first drive:

drive a device /dev/wd1s1
drive b device /dev/wd3s1
   volume raid10_1
      plex org striped 256k
         sd length 6204m drive a
         sd length 6204m drive b
      plex org striped 256k
         sd length 6204m drive b
         sd length 6204m drive a

Suggestions, flames, etc welcome.

-Paul

--
[Paul D. Schmidt....................][..................pds@enteract.com]
[Data Systems Programmer............][................pds@uberhacker.org]

      A closed mouth gathers no feet.   --Anonymous