Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 02:41:47 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pirat <pirat@access.inet.co.th>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make doc fails

pirat wrote:

 > On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 09:31:50PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
 >
 >> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:31:50 -0700 From: Kent Stewart
 >> <kstewart@owt.com> To: pirat <pirat@access.inet.co.th> Cc:
 >> freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: make doc fails
 >>

 >>> ..cut some texts away..

XFree86-4.2.0 and you probably still have 3.3.6 installed. Version 4.2

 >>>am running 4.5-stable and have not yet upgraded to 4.6 ,  only make
 >>>buildworld
 >>>am using x 3.3.6 and have just finished make install for docs very
smooth.
 >>>do we really need to have x version 4 in order to install
documents too ?

 >>No, but if you are not using 4.2.0, you will have to tell the port
 >>system that you are using version 3. That is what the
 >>"XFREE86_VERSION=" does for you.
 >>

 > for 4.6, XFREE86_VERSION is 4 by default is not it?
 > am making one of my machine XFree84-4-libraries now but i have to
have imake-4 installed first.
 > am making without specifying any version of X in /etc/make.conf though.

Yes, the default is version 4. The only time you had to add the
"XFREE86_VERSION=" is when you are not using the default.

 > and sure, that box has 4.6 make buildworld; make buildkernel;

make installkernel; make buildworld and reboot and mergermaster already.

I hope that last buildworld was an installworld.

There is more to it than that. I think for 4.2 that they are
recomending that you remove the older version before you begin adding
version 4.2. Changing versions also means you have ports that were
built with the wrong version.

When I upgraded to 4.2.0, I pkg_delete -r everything that used
XFree86. Then, I added everything back in and made packages for my
other machines. On an AMD-1600+ XP that is optimized to do
buildworlds, it required a good share of a day before KDE-3.0.1 was
finally reinstalled. Configuring XFreee86 required running xf86cfg
before it would start. The location of the config file has changed. It
  expects to find /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config and the one in /etc is
an old style one.

I started out using portupgrade and ended up with multiple versions on
some ports. When you have multiple ports requiring upgrades "-rfpu",
portupgrade has not handled the new dependancies on a forked side line
well. I did the final build manually.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

 >>> am running 4.5-stable and have not yet upgraded to 4.6 ,  only
 >>>  make  buildworld am using x 3.3.6 and have just finished
 >>> make install for docs very smooth. do we really need to have
 >>> x version 4 in order to install documents too ?
 >>>

 >> No, but if you are not using 4.2.0, you will have to tell the
 >> port  system that you are using version 3. That is what the
"XFREE86_VERSION="
 >>  does for you.
 >>

 > for 4.6, XFREE86_VERSION is 4 by default is not it? am making one
 > of my machine XFree84-4-libraries now but i have to have imake-4
 > installed first. am making without specifying any version of X in
 >  /etc/make.conf though.

Yes, the default is version 4. The only time you had to add the
"XFREE86_VERSION=" is when you are not using the default.

 > and sure, that box has 4.6 make buildworld; make buildkernel;
 > make installkernel; make buildworld and reboot and mergermaster
 > already.

I hope that last buildworld was an installworld.

There is more to it than that. I think for 4.2 they are
recomending that you remove the older version before you begin adding
version 4.2. Changing versions also means you have ports that were
built with a really different version. I work really hard to keep them
all consistant.

When I upgraded to 4.2.0, I pkg_delete -r everything that used
XFree86. Then, I added everything back in and made packages for my
other machines. On an AMD-1600+ XP that is optimized to do
buildworlds, it required a large part of a day before KDE-3.0.1 was
finally installed. Configuring XFreee86 required running xf86cfg
before it would start. The location of the config file has changed. It
expects to find /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config and the one in /etc is
an old style one.

I started out using portupgrade and ended up with multiple versions on
some ports. When you have multiple ports requiring upgrades via
"-rfpu", portupgrade has not cleanly handled the new dependancies on a

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA