Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:32:27 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Smashing Bill Gates necessary?

Sorry, but the US Supreme court has ruled that satire is
constitutionally protected free speech.  Bill Gates could NOT
pay enough lawyers to "take care of this himself", at least
not in the United States.  Perhaps in other countries that
don't have free speech protections, but I suspect he wouldn't
be that interested.

>of course I do not have to play this game, of

Which is exactly what the court stated in their ruling.  No
one in the US can force anyone in the US to read or view
something they don't wish to.  It's a good idea that some
other countries should consider adopting.

>course I do not like Microsofts monopolistic business
>strategies and of course smashing icons, burning
>straw-puppets, crosses or flags is not as bad as killing
>real persons, but still I do not really like the idea.
>
>I think it would not be a great loss to take this game out
>of gnome-fifth-toe.

I'm glad that you feel this way.  You know where the rm command
is on your system and I trust you know how to use it to accomplish
this.

As far as the rest of us go though, let me ask this:

1) Is the existence of this piece of code hurting anyone?

2) Is this code activated by the system without user intervention?

3) Does this code damage the system?

4) Was anyone exploited or harmed to create this code?

If the answer to these question is NO then I submit that the authors of
gnome are the ones who should be making this decision.

As far as morals are concerned, there's enough work to do on the Internet
eliminating pedophile operations, remailers that are used to illegally
harass others, and spammers out to defraud people that I suggest you
concentrate your energies there, where it's really needed.  This issue
is between you and the gnome authors, please don't waste space stirring
up people over it.  There's plenty of things in FreeBSD that someone out
there could construe as objectional, starting with Beastie looking like
Satan and ending with complaints about the error message of the command
"nice man woman"