Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:46:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current unable to attach USB, Power Mgmt, sound

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> > > pcm0: unable to map register space
> > > device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
> >
> > This is an Abit BP6 board with two Celeron 366, 256 MByte memory, one
> > Soundblaster PCI 128 (pcm0) and one Hoontech (pcm1) sound card. Below is
> > the complete dmesg from today's current, and the kernel config.
>
> I reported the same problem. PCI 128 uses the same ES1370 chip as the
> Audio PCI.

The Vibra128 (which is PCI) uses the Ensoniq chip, but I'm not so sure
the PCI128 does.  I just found this out the hard way on 56 new
systems.  I wanted the SB16 ISA, couldn't get that, so I was going to
get an AWE64 ISA, couldn't get that either (curse you, Creative, for
discontinuing those cards).  Got what I THOUGHT was the PCI128, which
turned out to be the Vibra128, which is a very different animal as far
as the Windows drivers are concerned.  It hasn't done too bad so far,
though we're running Win95, not FreeBSD (yet).  The wavetable samples
don't appear to exist in any kind of onboard RAM, so I'm not entirely
sure just how "hardware" the wavetable is at all.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."