Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:12:02 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Nikolai E. Wendorf" <nick@kolia.north.gencon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: open files

Nikolai E. Wendorf wrote:

>   System is 3.2-RELEASE, and this keeps coming up in /var/log/messages:
>
>   Jun 13 07:32:52 fw1 syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
>   Jun 13 07:32:52 fw1 syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
>
>   Kernel was built for 32 users, it is a firewall only
>   machine with 0 users. On previous 2.2.8 system I used
>   to build the kernel with:
>   options         CHILD_MAX=384
>   options         OPEN_MAX=512

CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX aren't used in 3.x systems. The max number of
processes (NPROC) is defined as (20 + 16 * MAXUSERS), MAXFILES is (2
* NPROC). So with maxusers 32, you should be able to have 1000-ish
open files. Try increasing maxusers (say, to 64) and see if that helps
matters. (These definitions are in /sys/conf/param.c)

> I believe the answer lies in login.conf but since I've not gone to the 3.
> yet I thought a sanity check was in order.

login.conf can only set limits for specific classes, AFAIK, and cannot
increase the limits above the limits set at kernel compile time.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and