Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:59:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        KillerBunny <killabunny@seductive.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation problems

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, KillerBunny wrote:

	Hmmm, why not just try installing in a more trditional manner?  It
seems a lot of your difficulty is caused by trying to use a strange
installation method (using a DOS partition).  One of the others will most
likely work better. Try an ftp install by using the boot floppies.  Or
download an ISO and install from CD, or better yet, buy a CD.

> Although all of the suggested installation instructions were followed,
i still run into a "Can't transfer bin distribution from ad0s1" error
when installing the *minimum* installation. My harddrive is a VIA IDE,
and i beleive it was supported as the Partitioning process seemed to work
properly. The installation media type is from a Dos partition,
4.2-Release; which i downloaded from ftp.freebsd.org. I *did* use the
ckdist.exe tool to verify that the distribution was not corrupted. The
entire contents of the 'bin' directory were placed in C:\FreeBSD\bin for
the istallation to find them. I have also, though, attempted once or
twice to mount my primary Fat32 partition (ad0s1) to "/wnd" and tried
installing from this directory as a "UFS Filesystem" (as the installation
calls it).
>   Has this type of problem occured in the past with Release 4.2 or is
there something that i'm doing wrong here?

	Mostly that you didn't wrap your lines at 72 characters, I had to
do it by hand, and that's not as much fun as it sounds. :)

							Tim