Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:21:32 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD hardware in the UK

On Jun 8, 18:18, "Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

} I am really replying to make a correction here, the ASUS PCI-L101-TB ethernet
} card is based on an AMD Am79C970 chip and absolutely will not run with the
} ``de'' driver.  It may, however, work with the ``lnc'' driver.

There have been several reports of people who got it
to work with the lnc driver, but they had to manually
configure the port address.

I have written the PCI probe code for the PCI Lance,
but had no time to import it into the -current tree,
yet :(

To manually configure the card, boot with "-v", look
for a PCI card of class "network (Ethernet)" and use
the port address reported for the ISA device "lnc0".

You can either rebuild your kernel or boot into config
mode (enter "-c" at the "Boot: " prompt) and then use
the command (assuming the port used is 0x7000 and the
PCI slot got IRQ 12 assigned to INT A):

config> port lnc0 0x7000
config> irq lnc 12
config> q

I'll try to get the Lance probe code into -current
before the end of next week.
It will make the card be detected as "lnc1", though !

(This is to allow another Lance to be present on ISA.
Since the PCI scan comes first, it is not known whether
there actually is such a card.)

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160