Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:38:37 -0800
From:      "Daniel J. Frost" <lethvian@maine.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   aterm: input/output trouble

I am using FreeBSD 2.2.8-stable, KDE 1.1 windows manager, and
XFree86 3.3.3 X server. My problem relates to the latest version of
aterm, v0.3.2.  I
compiled aterm with the configure file as was, and everything turned out
without errors.
Aterm ran fine, as I executed it from a xterm window, but the trouble
started when I tried
typing into the command prompt. The text I typed didn't echo, nor did
the output when I
pressed Enter. I tweaked around with the configure file, and recompiled
it with the same
conclusion. The manuals and the bug file didn't refer to the problem I
was having. After
several trial and errors, I figured out how to see the output. If I
clicked on another
window and clicked back to the aterm window, I could see the output. Or
if I resized the
window, I could see it. Apparently, the window's geometry directly
related to the amount
of output I would be able to see. For example, if I listed a directory
containing five items,
I could see it in an aterm window with the geometry of 10x10 but not in
one with
100x100. Even when I could finally see the output, the text was skewed
and overlapping
(as were the colors). I still haven't figured out how to get aterm to
echo when I type into
the command line. The same problem also occurred with Eterm, and rxvt,
so I'm almost
positive it doesn't reside only in aterm. The weird thing is, I have no
problems at all seeing the input/output using xterm or kvt (KDE's vt).
I've tried asking on #freebsd@efnet, without much success. One person
pointed out it could be the window's focusing, but neither of us was
able to figure out how to configure it. Another noted it could have been
missing libraries (but I doubt it, otherwise it probably wouldn't
compile or run without any errors). Could it be my ~/.Xsession is
missing some options? I have tried w/o success changing the windows
environment by using Enlightenment and Afterstep. I had the same problem
using an older version of the xserver. I'm completely stumped on this
one. If you guys have any ideas, I’ll take all the aid I can get =)
Thanks.

-- Daniel F.