Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:28:34 -0800
From:      Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
To:        How Can ThisBe <howcanthisbe300@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Subject:   Re: File system limits

Quoting Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:11:14AM +0000, How Can ThisBe wrote:
> > I'm working on a little experimental script and I'm wondering if there
> > is any kind of limit as to how many files or subdirectories a directory
> > can have.
>
> Yes, there is a limit on how many subdirectories a directory can have.
> This is because there is a limit on how many hardlinks there can be to
> >
> > I'm in the planing stages at the moment and I'm think that I may have
> > upto 4096 directories in a single directory, each of these 4096
> > directories could have upto 4096 sub directories...
>
> That should not be a problem.  Depending on how you access these
> directories you *might* see some of the slowdown for large directories

FWIW-

At some point you might want to ask... should this be a filesystem? or a database?

If you're looking to stress test a FS that's one thing, but handling tens of
thousands of little bits of data is sometimes managed better with a simple
database.

I've seen instances where a recursive script went *nuts* and created a directory
structure so deep it couldn't be removed with a simple rm -rf.

--daxbert