Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:06:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, eischen@vigrid.com
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

David Schwartz once wrote:

>  The  man page  is  correct  and the  implementation  is correct.

Several people, said the man pages are broken:

		Bruce Evans on Dec 28:
	> If timeout is a  non-nil pointer, it specifies
	> a maximum  interval to wait for  the selection
	> to complete.

	This is a  bug in the man page. It  is so poorly
	worded that  it is broken. "maximum"  here means
	"minimum" in  the case  where no  selected event
	occurs.

		Daniel Eischen on Jan 23:
	You have  to guarantee  that the actual  time is
	greater  than or  equal  to the  amount of  time
	specified.

		Warner Losh on Jan 23:
	: Could you provide  the chapter/verse number of
	: where POSIX spec contradicts the man pages? It
	: will help  me make my  case on the  TCL forum,
	: since  the  TCL  developers remain  under  the
	: mistaken assumption, that  select() may return
	: earlier, but never later than specified.

	Somewhere in the archives  have a pointer to the
	unified unix spec for select. Might want to look
	for  it. A  useful regular  expression might  be
	http://www.*/select.*.

This is becoming ridiculous. Somehow, I  get a feeling a bunch of people
manage  to agree  with  each other  on a  subject  they express  exactly
opposite opinions.

	-mi