Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 01:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/22676: No man pages for Make.conf or /usr/src/sys/Makefile

The following reply was made to PR docs/22676; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:56:46 -0600 (CST)

 Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za> types:
 > On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:32:25 CST, Mike Meyer wrote:
 > > I haven't seen that mail. It's not attached to the PR. Could you tell
 > > me where it showed up, or possibly forward it to me?
 > *grumble* *grumble*  It always annoys me when folks mail the responsible
 > mailing list instead of copying their follow-up to the gnats handler.
 > I'll get Nik's message into gnats.  For now, it's included in this
 > message.

 Thank you.

 To reply to a comment from Nik Clayton:

 > I understand that keeping them up to date is a chore, but I think as long
 > as they include a caveat that says something like
 >
 >     BUGS
 >
 >     This man page may lag behind the actual contents of the file, please
 >     read the comments in the file for any new functionality.

 The man page references /etc/defaults/make.conf. And since Nik pointed
 out the relation to periodic.conf & rc.conf, they could use the same
 caveat.

 > then we should be OK.  I'm also more than happy to support any committer
 > whacking you want to do when someone commits to /etc/make.conf without
 > updating make.conf(5) (and we should probably put a comment in the top of
 > /etc/make.conf saying exactly that.

 I hope you meant /etc/defaults/make.conf. /etc/make.conf isn't there
 until someone creates it post-install. Similar comments would be even
 more effective in the other file sin /etc/defaults.

 	<mike