Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 22:24:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu (Garance A Drosihn)
Cc:        jonahkuo@mail.ttn.com.tw, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ' /usr/lib' can not be used.

> It does not automatically update configuration files in /etc,
> because there's probably no good safe way to automate that.

Sure there is.

Seperate the schema from the subschema and the parameter store.

Retrieve data using the old schema.

Restore data using the new schema.

Dynamically extend the schema between releases using subschema changes.

In general, unless something radically changes, it's not necessary
to do the retrieve/restore, except for the first time you change over
to a schema-based system.  And this *can* be automated by providing a
commandline tool to allow sourcing the config then writing the
parameter store.  A radical change would be "total conversion to
USB devices" or something similar.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---