Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:48:33 -0300
From:      "Giovanni P. Tirloni" <gpt@tirloni.org>
To:        Putinas Piliponis <Putinas.Piliponis@hansa.lt>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atacontrol and SATA RAID

Putinas Piliponis wrote:
> atacontrol addspare ar0 ad6 should do the trick

  If I try that with the ad6 disk removed I get the following error:

    atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDADDSPARE): Device not configured

  If I insert the disk I had removed (but this time I formated it
  through the BIOS) it panics with the following message:

    ar0: 152627MB <ATA RAID1 array> [19457/255/63] status: READY
    subdisks:
      disk0 READY on ad4 at ata2-master
      disk1 READY on ad6 at ata3-master
    SPM: AP CPU #1 Launched!
    Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ar0s1a
    /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
    /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
    /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
    /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
    /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
    init: not found in path /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:
    /stand/sysinstall
    panic: no init
    cpuid = 1
    boot() called on cpu#1
    Uptime: 1s

  I'm worried about how am I going to replace a dead disk if it won't
let me boot with a new disk inserted as ad6.

Thanks,

--
Giovanni P. Tirloni