Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:25:56 +0100
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about a usb adsl modem driver

El Viernes, 3 de Diciembre de 2004 20:58, Andre Oppermann escribi=F3:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

[...]
> > I found Netgraph the easy path. A, let's say, ng_uadsl limited only
> > to move aal5 between the modem and netgraph may be enough to use
> > routed protocols, bridged mode, pppoe, pppoa, pptp, user-ppp, sppp,
> > ... just with some equivalents of frame relay nodes and atm_llc,
> > adapted to rfc2684.
>
> There is an extensive Netgraph ATM framework in FreeBSD 5.x written
> by harti@freebsd.org.  The only thing you need to do is the hardware
> driver for the ADSL USB modem.

This one of the main reasons to 'go netgraph'.  In fact, the actual=20
ueagle driver uses NATM.

But noted strong differences between atm boards and adsl modems.

=2D atm boards are hardware assisted.  usb adsl modems are bare assisted.

=2D atm boards support better signaling, multiple channels, ... usb adsl=20
modems just one PVC with uni signaling.

So I realize that try to get a NATM/NETGRAPH hardware driver may be too=20
work for little gain.

Right now, I think that maintain a ng_uadsl closer enough to ng_atm must=20
be a better solution.

In other words, take harti work as a reference, but let uadsl=20
independent of atm works.

=2D-
  josemi