Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:40:22 +0000
From:      Kyle Butt <kylebutt@myrealbox.com>
To:        Daniel Rock <D.Rock@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clock runs too fast

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 02:44:40PM +0200, Daniel Rock wrote:
> Craig Rodrigues schrieb:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have been having this problem with -current for the past 2 weeks now
> >(I am new to -current and just started using it 2 weeks ago).
> >I just did a cvsup and rebuilt the kernel and rebuilt the world.
> >
> >My clock seems to be running too fast, and I keep resetting it
> >with ntpdate.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >Now the clock seems to run at a more reasonable rate.
> >
> >Is there a problem with the ACPI code or with my
> >hardware (an ASUS P5A-B motherboard from about 3 or 4 years ago).
> >
> >How can I default to i8254 as my default timer?  Is there
> >something I should put in device.hints?
> >
> I had similar problems with a Gigabyte GA-5AX (also with ALi Aladdin V
> chipset). Without setting
> debug.acpi.disable = "timer"
> the clock runs twice as fast as it should be. This problem seems to be
> introduced in the ACPI update around July 2001. I didn't find any
> solution other than disabling ACPI timecounter.

That setting disappeared a while ago. I found another solution to the
twice as fast problem.

I doubled machdep.acpi_timer_freq in /etc/sysctl.conf
I started by halving that, but that made my clock go 4x. Yikes. So I doubled
it. If anyone knows how to set this at boot, please tell me.

machdep.acpi_timer_freq=7159090