Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:46:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
To:        joshua@roughtrade.net
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

Joshua Goodall wrote:

> Conceptually, if you have two machines, they could act as servers
> for each other.
> NFS cross-mounts again will do

I've never heard of this, could you please explain perhaps by example
what you're talking about?  To my knowledge, one cannot cross-mount
with nfs.

> With shared NFS mounts, the obvious answer is: use Maildirs.  They
> are multiple-writer-safe and NFS-safe.  I suggest experimenting with
> Coda in this scenario; particularly try an "unplug" test during
> delivery.

I think that with proper locking or rather I should say *consistent*
locking, a single mbox file should work with both servers writing to
the same file.  Just need to use a type of locking that's going to
work across coda or whatever, for example the type of locking that
creates a .lock file or uses a lock manager.

Creating a .lock file can be dangerous since it can get stuck and have
to be deleted manually if the box which is locking that mail file goes
down.  Anyone know if when a machine goes down in coda if the it's
style of locks are automatically released?

Michael Grant