Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:10:00 -0800
From:      Patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whats the difference between password+RSA, and password-protected RSA ?

In the case of a passphrase-protected RSA key, the server knowsnothing
about it, so you would never be able to enforce that. It's onthe
client side that the key is decrypted with the passphrase
beforesubmitting it to the server.
Patrick

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Mm Bsd <mmbsd1982@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let's say I'd like to add a small amount of extra security to my SSH logi=
n process.

> Let's say I decide the way I want to do this is by requiring BOTH a passw=
ord and an RSA key. =A0There appear to be patches, or procedures, that allo=
w me to do this. =A0So to log in, I would be required to enter a normal uni=
x password, but I would ALSO be required to hold a proper RSA public key.

> My question is this:
>
> In terms of security (and correctness ?) what's the difference between th=
is (unix password + SSH RSA key) and simply generating my RSA key *with* a =
password ? =A0Both ways require me to "have something" and "know something"=
, but they are obviously different, technically.