Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:15:30 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "frag-anyways" knob.

[sorry if you get this twice - my laptop crashed horribly]

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 08:25:01PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > This looks good.
> >
> > In the PPPoE case, we need to be able to bring the program up and
> > down based on any new MTU values negotiated by ppp(8).
> >
> > This could be done if tcpmssd had a ``create a pidfile'' option,
> > where ppp.linkup could run ``tcpmssd -M IFMTU -P tcpmssd.INTERFACE.pid''
> > and ppp.linkdown could run ``kill `cat tcpmssd.INTERFACE.pid`''.
> >
> > Ppp would also need to expand IFMTU in command_Expand() in command.c.
> >
> > Does this make sense ?  The only alternative I see is to implement
> > this stuff in libalias and have tcpmssd use libalias.
> >
> Would it be enough if tcpmssd(8) could track interface MTU (kernel
> is capable of notifying user processes about MTU changes through a
> routing socket interface as of sys/net/if.c,v 1.83).
>
> usage: tcpmssd [-v] -p port [-i iface | -m mtu]
>
> So, if run as `tcpmssd -p 1234 -i tun0', it will peek the initial
> MTU value on startup and then will monitor routing socket for MTU
> changes.

That sounds perfect - although I think the pidfile option would be
nice too - for consistency.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>