Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:50:53 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "Jack L." <xxjack12xx@gmail.com>
Cc:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>,  Mark Millard via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
Subject:   Re: firefox

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:29 AM Jack L. <xxjack12xx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote=
:

> > @lbutlr wrote on 2019/08/12 07:08:
> > >
> > > That doesn=E2=80=99t sound right. If Firefox is crashing a lot there =
is
> something not quite right with your system or install.
> >
> > I am using Seamonkey on everyday basis. Sometimes my computer is runnin=
> > 20+ days without reboot and Seamonkey running all the time with 5
> > windows and total count of 200+ openned tabs. No crashes at all.
> > Firefox crashes instantly after start (even if I delete its profile)
> > Palemoon, Qupzilla, Iridium crashes few times a day.
> > LibreOffice, Gimp and other apps are running fine. Only browsers are so
> > unstable these days. And as you can read I am not alone with this kind
> > of experience so I don't think it's just my computer problem.
> >
> > Miroslav Lachman
>
> yup, they don't make browsers like they used to

I'll probably regret opening this potential can of worms, but I find these
reports of instability in Firefox surprising. I have used Firfox as my web
browser on FreeBSD for many year, going back to at least Firefox v3 and
probably v2. I can't say I've never had it crash, but in the past year I
can't recall a single crash on FreeBSD. It has been rock solid. So why is
it failing or some people? (I'll note in passing that Firefox has been
somewhat less stable on Windows 7 where it seems to crash every couple of
weeks.

Possibilities include hardware, especially graphics, web sites visited, and
Firefox configuration. Lots of tabs may be an issue as I try to keep my
open tabs under 20.
 I can't imagine trying to deal with 200+, but it must eat a lot of
resources. That may be tied to the failures reported.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com