Date:      21 Apr 2002 12:49:35 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: Easy way to copy CD-ROM > MS-floppy?

Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:

| Well, Ken. Things did not go entirely as hoped...

Uh-oh.

| I tried to use this technique to back up /usr/local/s_apache since this is
| the directory that contains almost all of the GallantWEB goodies.
|
|   # tar cvfz /tmp/s_apache.tar.gz /usr/local/s_apache
|
| went as expected.

How large did the tarball turn out to be?  If it's over 1.4MiB, it's not going
to work.

| Then, after I umounted the msdos to avoid a 'busy' error message, this is
| what happened:
|
|   # dd if=/tmp/s_apache.tar.gz of=/dev/fd0
|   dd: /dev/fd0: end of device
|   2881+0 records in
|   2880+0 records out
|   1474560 bytes transferred in 192.223091 secs (7671 bytes/sec)

Okay.  That would be normal, except I'm concerned that the tarball was larger
than the floppy would handle.

|   # ls -FL /usr/tmp
|   total 10824
|   -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 11067771 Apr 21 02:01 s_apache.tar.gz

Yep.

| Do you have any way for me to chop up s_apache.tar.gz into floppy-sized
| pieces that I will be able to reassemble in Win98SE?

I do!

        # cd /tmp
        # split -b 1474560 s_apache.tar.gz s_apache.tar.gz.

That will create a bunch of files called

        s_apache.tar.gz.aa
        s_apache.tar.gz.ab

and so on.  Write each of those individually, shove them over to the MSDOS
system (apache.01, apache.02, etc.), and concatenate them there (into
APACHE.TGZ), and you're set.