Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 10:41:23 -0800
From:      Dan Mahoney <dan@wolf.com>
To:        TROTTER <dtrotte@mcsi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginner please help

>     Do I need to get Unix before I can get FreeBSD? Or is FreeBSD its own operating system? I am kind of confused here, because I did a search on yahoo and FreeBSD was under operating systems. Thank you for your help.

FreeBSD *is* a version of Unix - perhaps the best version available
for Intel platforms! And best of all, it's free!

You can find a lot of info on FreeBSD at the web site,
http://www.freebsd.org.  Instructions for installing can be
found in the online Handbook, also on the web site.  If you
have an available partition on your hard drive, all you have
to download to begin an install of FreeBSD is two files. Once
you have the setup floppy built, you can do an install of
FreeBSD over the net.

The easiest way yo install is, of course, to buy the CD set
from Walnut Creek CDROM.

Dan Mahoney
dan@wolf.com