Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 17:36:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: copying audio cd's

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 11:45:57AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> [...]
> > program that understands audio cd format, or (with ATAPI cd drives
> > only, I believe) you can use the acd<x>t<y> format, on a
> > track-by-track basis.

This seems correct. My CDROM drive is SCSI, and the
"...<device>t<track>" notation does not work. What I've done is
installed tosha from the ports. It can read audio files from the CD and
write them to the hard disk. Works great, and it's nice that most of the
options default to what I want :^)

> Yes, sort-of.  For example, I just copied an audio CD by doing
>
> dd if=/dev/acd0t1 of=track1.raw bs=2352
> dd if=/dev/acd0t2 of=track2.raw bs=2352
> [...]
> burncd -f /dev/acd0c -smax -d audio track1.raw track2.raw ...
>
> But (at least I found that) it didn't produce a completely correct audio
> CD; there's something fishy with the TOC, I think.

I had trouble with that usage as well. The resulting CD would not
*start* playing in my audio CD player, but gave me a flashing "00:00" on
the front panel. If I fast-forwarded enough to get past the beginning of
the first track, it was fine. I was able to get a proper CD by not using
DAO, thusly:

burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 40 audio track1 track2 track3 track4 fixate

It seems like it should be possible to pipe the output of tosha into
burncd, but I have not experimented with this yet; just bought the
burner yesterday.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]