Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:31:02 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        rihad <rihad@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: top(1) process name

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 05:07:17PM +0500, rihad wrote:

> This is probably a FAQ. Is there any way to set the process name of a
> running Perl program displayed in top(1)?
>
> $0 = 'candy';
>
> doesn't seem to affect it in any way (although it does change what ps
> displays).

I do not believe it is possible in modern FreeBSDs.  The top(1) utility uses
kvm_getprocs(3), which guarantees that the ki_comm field will represent an
unaltered original command name, so no amount of tinkering with
setproctitle(3) or the contents of argv array will change that.

Accidentally, ps -c does the same.

If there is a way to do it, I will be happy to learn about it myself.

\Anton.
--
We're going for 'working' here. 'clean' is for people with skills...
-- Flemming Jacobsen