Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:06:07 -0700
From:      Parker Brown <phbrown@gte.net>
To:        Tech Support <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "Device not Found" messages at Boot Time

My question:  How best to remedy this, and could someone give me an
intuitive idea what is happening, and maybe tell me something of the
load modules I am looking for?

I rebuildt my kernel, and right after the kernel loads and the "real
memory" message appears, I get a series of messages like:

config>di zp0
no such device: zp0
config>di ze0
...and so on.

While there seems to be no harm done, I would just like to clean things
up a little, and maybe learn something while I'm at it.

I've tried -c and boot time, but I can't find any commands to deactivate
these devices.

There is a file named /boot/kernel.conf which contains these very
entries (ie, di zp0, di ze0, ..., q), and obviously this file is input
to a configuration module.  Can I delete this file, or at least take all
the records out of it with exception of the last one ("q")?  I've
grepped through A LOT of the src tree looking for a module that reads
these records, so I could find out what "di" means and what would happen
if the file weren't there.  About all I found was a
"userconfig_script_name=/boot/kernel.conf" constant defined in it in one
of the ../boot sources, but I have no way of finding out what modules
include/use that constant.  Using man to look up config, boot, even di,
is no help.  If this stuff is referred to by the Handbook or The
Complete FreeBSD book, I haven't been able to locate it.