Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:15:12 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@pepcross.com>
To:        markir@paradise.net.nz
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

On Mon Jul 20, (I was reading the web archive) Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> With respect to Mysql performance, I would suspect threading or
> threading/kernel interaction as the culprit. (That reminds me, I
> don't recall seeing the original poster re-doing the tests with
> 6.0-CURRENT - that would be interesting).

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I posted these results and anything else that went with this thread to
the freebsd-performance mailing list.

-current proved a slightly better performer for us, but not enough to
bring it even close to the performance we get with gentoo.

Off the top of my head the select key benchmarks were ROUGHLY:

FreeBSD 5.various + MySQL 4.various    : ROUGHLY 16k queries/second
FreeBSD 6.0-current + MySQL 4.1.12     : ROUGHLY 18k queries/second
Gentoo-something + MySQL 4.1.something : ROUGHLY 30k queries/second.

The exact figures were posted to performance- (6.0 tests) and stable-
(gentoo vs. freebsd 5.x).

Good luck to anyone who can manage to get MySQL to perform as well on
FreeBSD as Linux, we've been right out of luck so far and that's
really not advocating FreeBSD very well, which is what I'd rather be
doing.

        Steve