Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:45:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      callum.gibson@db.com
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        andrew@ugh.net.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipcrm/shmctl failure

tlambert2@mindspring.com writes:
}I believe this will give incorrect information, as it's pretty
}obvious that any bug here has to be in the Linux ABI treatment
}of the _exit() resource tracking cleanup of the segments when a
}proce (or "Linux thread") exits.  The information "-p" gives is
}the last access.  However, if what has happened is that all the
}programs have been stopped, and the reference count was not
}decremented by the Linux ABI code, then the last reference you
}will see is the already exited X server.

There are definitely no live processes accessing any shared memory when
I try to ipcrm them. Your argument is convincing but...

I'm surprised that "Invalid argument" is the error. I would have thought
something like EBUSY would be more appropriate (remember this is happening
with a shmctl(IPC_RMID) call as well). In fact, looking at the source
EINVAL is only returned if the args to shmsys are invalid or the shmid
can't be found. I can see them with ipcs -m, I can't remove them.  I
don't think EINVAL is the right error, even if the reference count is
stuffed up by the Linux emulator. There has to be something else going
on. I don't get EPERM or EACCES, nor does the operation appear to complete
successfully but leave the shms behind (as you might expect with a bad
reference count) - I get EINVAL. Hmmm....

Please don't make me use the kernel debugger... waahhhh

Callum Gibson                               callum.gibson@db.com
Global Markets IT, Deutsche Bank, Australia       61 2 9258 1620
### The opinions in this message are mine and not Deutsche's ###