Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:39:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        Peter Lai <PeterL@resnet.uconn.edu>, "'Alfred Perlstein '" <bright@wintelcom.net>, "'David Talkington '" <dtalk@prairienet.org>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pronunciations

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> /etc "etcetera" (some reprobates say E T C)

Some even worse reprobates (myself included) say ET-see.

> Or "#"
>
> The English say "hash", some australians say "crunch"
> Americans says (bizarrely) "pound" .. yes yes I know why :)

And there are always the pedants who say "octothorpe."

What about ~? In grade school I learned that it was pronounced "TIL-duh"
but I have a friend who calls it "TIL-day."

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape