Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:45:51 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Apache

FXN> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
FXN> Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com> wrote:

FXN> : My workaround is to every so often just do a foreach loop on all
FXN> : packages running pkg_tarup to fix up the stale deps in the packages I
FXN> : use locally.

FXN> Would you please elaborate a bit on this? It seems there is no manual page
FXN> for pkg_tarup, what do you do and why?

I like to keep packages of the software I build for installation on to
other local boxes (especially for things like KDE, which take about a
whole day to build from scratch).

When you use portupgrade to update something and build packages, it
will repackage anything that depends on the current port being built.
However, the dependencies registered into that package will have all
kinds of stale package versions, as outlined in my PR.

To work around that, I don't have portupgrade build packages, but
every so often will run pkg_tarup to make the packages files of
my installed ports.  This gets the dependencies right (even if it does
duplicate some).