Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 19:09:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Jake Burkholder <jake@checker.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure we want those sort of people.   But there's already a

What sort of people is FreeBSD after then?  There are all sorts of people
who need a mailserver, or a webserver, or whatever, who would otherwise get
someone to sell them an NT based solution.  A friend works for a rather
behind the times company who is just getting intra-office email.  They had
been sold on some gastly solution that runs under NT, and required three
boxes to do maybe 80 users mail.  Why didn't they use a Unix solution? Too
expensive, because they would have had to have paid some high-priced
consultant to set things up.  If my friend had been able to show off a nifty
configuration utility, he might have had better luck selling the FreeBSD
solution I recomended.
Are you saying that we don't want a presence in any machine room we can get
one?  That FreeBSD should only be for talented ubergeeks?  "The power to
serve" doesn't do anyone any good if they can't figure out how to apply it.

David Scheidt

> Ideally, no interaction at all will be required.
Just give me knobs to turn everything off.