Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 14:09:38 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@shift.lan.awfulhak.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, brian@utell.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace = ^H

> > > *SIGH*, why does this come up again and again??
> >
> > 'cos it doesn't make sense (*stir* *stir* *stir*).
>
> Yes it does :)

> > > BS = BACKSPACE = 0x08
> > > DEL = DELETE = 0x7f
> > >
> > > Why on earth should they be reversed contradicting their names ??
> >
> > So that emacs' help system can work.  Why would reversing them
> > contradict their names ?
>
> Change emacs ??
>
> Because "back space" in ascii parlour is 0x08, and "delete" is 0x7f
> thats why....go check an ascii chart...

Yep - it just occurred to me to look at an ascii chart.

> > > Now, BSD then has a funny old behavior of having the std erase one
> > > char set to 0x7f, but thats only for hysterical reasons...
> >
> > And then it stty's it to 0x08 in roots .profile.....  If people really
> > insist on BS=0x08 and DEL=0x7f, then so be it, but the default erase
> > should be changed to 0x08 too (and the stty removed from roots .profile).
>
> Well, I dont se whats wrong with changing it if one likes it another
> way, but we caould easily agree on the default erase char should be
> back space aka 0x08. This however breaks with BSD hysteria...

Ok, so this is my point.  The hysterical idea is wrong :)

I now agree that 0x08 is the right thing to send for a BS, so
we need to have the default erase as 0x08 and remove the stty
from /.profile and /root/.profile (a link anyway).

Any disagreements (freebsd-hackers) ?

> > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > > Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
> > >                 Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
> > > ..
> >
> > ARRRRGH !  I had to install metamail to reply to this !
>
> Welcome to the modern 8 bit age :), I like to se my name
> spelled with the right letters :)

grumble.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk> <brian@freebsd.org>