Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:30:59 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        pryan@singnet.com.sg
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backspace and delete keys behavior

Peter Ryan wrote:
> I've got the same thing on the 2 machines i am experimenting
> with.  I am new and thought it was a standard feature :)
>
> I also defined a standard US 101 keyboard.
>
> Makes me think there is a setting or choice at installation that
> deals with this, rather than having to patch something.

Add

keysym Delete = 0x04

to ~/.xmodmaprc

and add

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

to ~/.xinitrc

To implement this in a running X session type this in an xterm

xmodmap -e "keysym Delete = 0x04"

Actually, this is probably a better solution for the OP as it is global
whereas my previous suggestion is xterm specific.

HTH

Regards,

Mark