Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:48:43 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Graphics card

"Roger P. Johnson" wrote:

> > Do not get a ATI Rage Fury 128 AGP.  Matrox makes good cards that work well with X.
>
> I disagree. I use to be a fan of Matrox Cards. I've used the Matrox Millenium II, Mystique 200, and the G200. All of which have glitches with X. Adobe Acrobat
> with any of these cards messes up and can't display the page clearly. If you
> switch from X to the console (via cntl-alt-Fn) you will get sometimes a
> "rainbow" look across the top of the monitor. Sometimes it stays and locks
> your console up. With the Mystique 220, I get a ghosting block on the screen
> that will just stay there until you reboot. It looks like a UPC bar code.
>
> Whereas ATI Rage IIC and Xpert98 all work fine with no hickup's or side
> effects that I have seen. I'd bet it is more of the X server then that of
> the Matrox card itself. As I have used the Millenium II in a dual boot
> NT/FreeBSD and it worked fine using NT.
>
> I'd stay with the ATI's.

That's odd, I'm using the G200 right now and have experianced only 1
(one)
graphical anomaly to date.  When I start up fxtv (with a WinTV 98 card)
X starts displaying the picture in the old location for a second before
bringing it back into fxtv window, which leaves garbage on the screen.
I fully believe this to be a problem with fxtv, and not with my
video card though.  I'm wondering if there isn't some oddity with your
motherboard that is causing the problem?

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org