Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:43:05 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, "Georg-W. Koltermann" <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vmware fails on -current

In message <86lmh0h3vd.fsf@gradius.wdb.co.kr>, CHOI Junho writes:

>Hmm.. I have experienced another problem(-current of 19 Nov.) with
>vmware. When it runs it comes up with the following dialog:
>
>  "Encountered an error while initializing the ethernet address.
>   You probably have an old vnet driver. Try installing a newer version
>   Failed to configure ethernet0"

Hi, could you try to get a ktrace of what it is doing just before
this happens? Run

	ktrace -i vmware

as root (you may need to copy your ~/.vmware to ~root first). Then
use "linux_kdump -n" (/usr/ports/devel/linux_kdump) and look for
any ioctls that it does immediately before giving that error message.

Ian