Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:39:54 +0900
From:      sen_ml@eccosys.com
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh.

jslat>   For what need, would one have to even remotely Logon to the
jslat> root account, my advice to to not even have a ~/root/.ssh to
jslat> begin with.  to me it's about as silly as ~/root/.rhosts.

i won't be surprised if others mention that it is not always practical
to do what you suggest.  i beg to differ on the point that it is about
as silly as ~/root/.rhosts -- .rhosts is far worse in my opinion.

to elaborate just a bit, there are situations in which people might
not have physical access (at least not frequently, and sometims even
close to never) to the machiness which they administer.  root access
by ssh (in certain configurations) can provide a practical approach
(compared to the alternatives) depending on one's situation.

i know some setups where people establish an out-of-band connection
(say, via serial lines) to each machine they administer from a single
machine which is not connected to the network.  however, even this is
not always possible or practical -- distance, time, budget,
etc. constraints.