Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:22:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Help identifying/configuring SMC Ehternet card.

	I just yesterday got my cable modem install. Looks really good with
	jsut the laptop connected to it. Now to get the FreeBSD gateway workign
	with it.

	First problem. This will require adding a second ethernet card, this
	one with a 10baseT port. The installer was nice enough to leave one for
	me. However he had no documnetion (it's PnP so Windoze needs none). I
	need to idetify this unit, and figure out how to make it work with
	FreeBSD>

	It's a SMC card, abd has a sticker that says 8432T C 2296 on it, and it
	has ELEC5K-15 etched on the board. I found a refernce to a model 8432
	on the SMC web site, but was unable to find a setup program for it.

	I was hoping to get a setup program that would let me disable PNP on it
	and configure the IRQ and memory address by hand.

	Has anyone got this unit working under FreeBSD/ If so how? It's a PCI
	one, I had the choice of ISA, should I have gone that way?

	If I have to do PnP, can someone point me in the right direction
	forthis? I really don;t want to muck up this machien.

	Thanks.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    770-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems