Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:52:38 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2-R installer bombs because I can't turn UDMA off...

Kent Stewart scribbled this message on Mar 14:
> John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> > Kent Stewart scribbled this message on Mar 14:
> >
> > [lot of stuff deleted]
> >
> > > If you are using a 80-wire cable, you can try using an old 40-wire to
> > > force UDMA-33. If things like buildworld work, you are probably
> >
> > ummm..  UDMA-33 is all the VT82C586A supoprt, and that's what I'm having
> > issues with..  this is a K6-225 which was LONG before UDMA-66 even
> > entered the scene...  I'm using a 40-wire cabel, etc..

> > I wish I could even attempt a buildworld, but I can't even get past the
> > frigging installer...
>
> You may not have any choice with your system. My KT7 had bios upgrades
> to get around some of this with the Maxtor UDMA 100 drives but it
> didn't help.

I don't care.. I'm talking about speeds no faster than UDMA-33, the
whole UDMA-66 and UDMA-100 is completely theretical and has absolutely
zero relation to this problem...  my motherboard can't handle anything
faster than UDMA-33...  right here in the ata source it says this:
ata-pci.c:          return "VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller";

and I should have a choice to be able to fall back to PIO mode...  hell,
I'd be happy with 3.3mb/sec PIO mode if it worked relibably...  guess
it was a bad decision to finally declare ata a fit replacement for
wdc...

> > > were after SOS to load the kernel and etc in PIO mode and then switch
> > > to dma. I don't know what the status is on that. You can also try
> >
> > if it was configurable at boot time, it wouldn't matter...  you just
> > put the lines in loader.conf or what ever, and things work..
>
> It wasn't and that was why people were after it to start up in pio
> mode.

and I guess still not...   :(

> > > using a Promise Ultra66 or Ultra100 pci card. It will probably work
> > > with the drive just fine. If it doesn't, trash the drive or sell it to
> > > someone that it won't matter to. It isn't going to get better with
> > > time. FWIW, I have a new AMD 900 on a KT7 mb that has a Promise card
> > > installed in it.
> >
> > so?? this is hardware that FreeBSD should support, or we are killing
> > around 50% of the hardware that is in current use.. and I don't want
> > to spend money and waste a PCI slot on an extra card for something I
> > don't need simply because FreeBSD doesn't run...
>
> If it runs on Windows and doesn't run on FreeBSD, then I blame

why the heck does Windows come into this??  this machine hasn't ever
seen Windows (in the gui, I've had to use a boot floppy to flash it)
on the hard drive... and I know the drive works fine as I did use to
run Windows on the drive...  just the mobo, etc haven't had windows
on it...

so, for all I know, windows could crash all the time on this system..
I'd never know it...

[deleted information that doesn't help me now]

btw, I've bcc'd sos on all of my replys, and I guess he must not be
available, as he hasn't replied yet...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking