Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:23:36 -0600
From:      markham breitbach <markham_breitbach@ssimicro.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: cksum entire dir??

As long as you are not moving files across mount points, you could always do something
like this:

    cd $SOURCE_DIR && find . -print | cpio -dplm $DEST_DIR
    rm -rf $SOURCE_DIR

That will create hard links from one directory to the other so you don't have to worry
about any file corruption since the data is never actually moved around on the disk.  It
should also be a whole lot faster than actually moving or copying the data and you don't
have to worry about running out of disk space half way through a copy.

-M