Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:43:11 -7
From:      "Jim McIver" <jmciver@lmtribune.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portcheckout

I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 and installed mutt from the /ports. I few
days ago I got a message about a problem with the mutt version and it
stated I could upgrade with the portcheckout utility to a fixed version.

The message indicated portcheckout was the best way, so I thought I'd
give it a shot.

Read all I could find about portcheckout and still don't really
understand it, but set and enviroment for cvs(another story) and
issued

portcheckout mutt

This came back with several versions of mutt. I then issued

portcheckout mutt-1.2.5_1.tgz

It appeared to download and then said to "cd /ports/mail/mutt and
issue make all install clean"

So I changed to /usr/ports/mail/mutt and issued the command. First
message was it couldn't find /ports/distfiles/mutt so it went and
downloaded mutt-1.2.5.1(different from 1.2.5_1). How did I ask it to
do this?

Now it's still downloading all sorts of stuff and installing who knows
what. How do I remove all this stuff, as my hard drive is limited?

Are there clear instructions somewhere on cvs and portcheckout?(yes
I've read what I could find on the web & man pages which hasn't been
clear or helpful)

Must be a better way to upgrade mutt.

If I just download the mutt-1.2.5_1.tgz, from the ftp site, do I just
copy the extracted files over the existing mutt stuff and run a plain
make clean from the directory?

Would this have been the correct way to upgrade and install?

thx,
-
Jim McIver