Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2013 06:56:24 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stagedir vs. jail

Do I understand this situation correctly:

Users are having issues with building/installing packages with STAGEDIR
enabled in lightweight jails that use symlinks to share parts of the
base system between many jails to make it easier to upgrade the jails
and avoid duplication/wasted disk space? It seems that the handbook and
ezjails may both replicate this behavior.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-application.html

If this is correct, the only workaround may be for you to use a private
package repository constructed by poudriere and to not actually build
your packages within the jails you intend to use them in. The types of
jails you are using are certainly a supported method for running jails,
but I can see the severe limitations it imposes on the newer package
building method which is designed to ensure packages are built as
accurately and reliably as possible. Maybe bapt & co can find a
workaround for this, but this does sound like an edge case.

Please keep in mind that there are some growing pains as the ports team
attempts to mature packages on FreeBSD so we can one day go from 90%
users build from ports and only 10% using packages to a reality where
90% of the users are able to use packages and only 10% have to build
from ports.

I should note that I successfully run these types of jails but I run
poudriere from the host to have private package repositories. It makes
it very easy to pop into a jail and run "pkg upgrade" and instantly the
jail is updated and I can restart services or quickly restart the entire
jail.