Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 02:24:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, (John Baldwin) <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Subject:   Re: Why are NIS netgroups  ignored...

On 22-Mar-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote,
>> The FreeBSD machine is the master server, and does not have a local
>> /etc/netgroup file.  There is a /var/yp/netgroup file whose database is
>> stored
>> in the NIS maps in /var/yp/<domainname>.  The ypcat and ypmatch work on all
>> machines, including the FreeBSD master server.
>
> Hmmm... I thought you said that you _weren't_ getting
> 'netgroup.byhost' or 'netgroup.byuser.' You are getting them on all of
> the machines?

Yes... I can ypcat or ypmatch 'netgroup', 'netgroup.byhost' and
'netgroup.byuser' on all hosts.

>> I should have also said that
>> neither the FreeBSD client workstations nor the Digital UNIX workstations
>> honor
>> netgroups in .rhosts.  However, the Digital UNIX servers do honor netgroups
>> in
>> /etc/exports.  All of the machines in question are on the same LAN,
>> including
>> both the FreeBSD master, and a Digital UNIX slave.  It is as if the netgroup
>> map is honored some times but not others.  Hope I haven't confused you more
>> and
>> thanks for sticking it out this far.
>
> If all of the machines are receiving the maps for netgroup, then the
> problem would not seem to lie with the NIS transfer among the
> machines, but rather how individual applications use the maps. What
> happens when you try to use a map in /etc/exports on a FreeBSD
> machine? What kind of errors are you getting?

I can use a netgroup in /etc/exports on a FreeBSD machine and it works.  The
only problems I've encountered so far are with /etc/login.access and login, and
~/.rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv with rshd and rlogind.  Does anyone know if
these are broken.  ...  Well, duh, guess I should've searched Gnats as well as
the mail archives before e-mailing, this is reported in bin/2641 but not yet
fixed. :(  Thanks for your time.  Now I just have to wonder if it is broken for
rshd and rlogind.

> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

---