Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:39:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        hometeam <hometeam@techpower.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd (Re: speaking of 3.4... )

On 23 Nov 1999, Vadim Belman wrote:

>  Kris> Most of the changes are linux-specific, since that's all they have
>  Kris> for ppp. There are a few extra features, but I don't think there
>  Kris> have been many freebsd-applicable bugfixes.
>
> 	What makes pppd more preferable than the standard ppp? From my
> 	point of view, they are rather equal in most cases.

The only things I can think of are:

1) if you have a bunch of {Linux|Solaris|...} machines (for which pppd is
the only (at least, only one I know of) free ppp implementation), so you
don't have to learn a new syntax.

2) Better (or at least, deterministic) latency on packets, since they
don't leave the kernel (as with user-mode ppp). I don't know how much of
an effect this is, but it's not likely to be significant for most people.

user-mode ppp (i.e. ppp(8)) is definitely the way to go in freebsd, all
other things being equal. It's well supported, has more features, and is
actively developed.

Kris

----
Cthulhu for President! For when you're tired of choosing the _lesser_ of
two evils..