Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:57:33 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG, jlemon@americantv.com
Subject:   Re: syncer / SMP question

On Feb 02, 1998 at 07:01:32PM +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> Yes, I later noticed.  What do you think of the above?

I think I'll take the original code.  :-)

While layering is nice, it imposes a performance hit.  Also, I think that
the above is overkill, and just serves to obfuscate the code.  It took me
longer to understand the macros above than it did to read the original
implementation.

IMHO, all the original code really needs is a nice little comment stating
that vfs_busy() releases the lock on the mountlist if it succeeds.

I'll also note that it appears possible to pass a NULL third argument to
vfs_busy() and thus have it not release the lock on the mountlist.  Then
simple_unlock would be called explicitly in the sync() function, also making
things clearer.

I'm unsure if the lock release done by vfs_busy/lockmgr was for
1) convenience, or 2) some form of atomic unlocking.  Perhaps someone
else could explain?  Terry?  Poul?
--
Jonathan