Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:38:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Robert Warning <cleeker@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New to BSD and have a few questions.

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Robert Warning wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:14:50 -0400
> From: Robert Warning <cleeker@gmx.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: New to BSD and have a few questions.
>
> Hello all. Staring about 6 months ago I began to leave the Windows world
> and explore the world of Unix. My first stop was Linux (mainly because
> it was the only Unix os for ix86 I heard of) and while I indeed enjoyed
> Linux a great deal I want to explore more and try out the other *nixes
> out there. My next logical stop would be the BSD world. While I intend
> to keep using Linux a great deal I also want to exoplore BSD. My
> question is what are common pitfalls a Linux user finds in a BSD world?
> Thank you to everyone in advance.

A few things nipped me at first:

* Don't run ldconfig willy-nilly like you do  in linux e.g if you install
  some new libs. Don't use ldconfig unless you know what you're doinf with
  it.

* Installing applications manually at first (download the src, build and
  install) is not as clean as learning how to use the ports system and its
  pkg_* tools.

* Flashplayer in the native browsers is kinda ratty (the linux browsers
  maybe not, I dunno, I don't really care ;-)

That said, coming from linux, the man pages in FreeBSD are much more
thorough, up to date and maintained, the FreeBSD Handbook is an
excellent resource for the opsys, possibly the best I've ever seen.

And building a kernel is much cleaner, too.

HTH - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg