Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:27:18 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Subject:   Re: portsnap - overwrite local changes

On 01/22/13 17:21, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
> On 01/22/13 09:59, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>>
>> "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I know when I run it manually and there is a conflict, it will tell me
>>> about a merge-conflict and ask me which file to keep (mine or theirs),
>>> selecting theirs, afaik, overwrites my local file.
>>
>> And when there is no conflict and it can be merged, you have a merged
>> file. And in some point in time your local /usr/ports is messed up
>> with forgotten local changes and so on... I just wanna make sure to
>> automatically "clean up" my /usr/ports. CVSup did this :(
>
> Perhaps merge is the wrong term (but its what svn uses) but what it
> really does is overwrite the local file with the one from the repo. I've
> been doing that for months now with no problems.

No, this is not correct. It depends on the kind of conflict. If you have
not conflicting changes in your local copy those will be merged. There
will be a G letter besides those files in the "svn up" output. No error
message. If the change is conflicting it will ask you what to do.

If the file has no change in the repo but has local changes local
changes will survive. If you instead always use "svn checkout" then yes,
it will overwrite changes.

If subversion did such a thing(destroying local changes silently) it
would be a very big problem for developers.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>