Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:16:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        mark@grondar.za
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perl and other fixes to bsd.port.mk

 * > You mean you're going to change the perl5 port as well as the version
 * > imported to /usr/src to be like the previous version (i.e., no version
 * > numbers in directories)?
 *
 * That was one of my ideas. You may remember a pice of mail I sent
 * out a couple of days ago asking what folk thought. In hindsight I
 * could have been clearer about my intentions.

Oh.  I thought you were discussing where the root directory would go.
I didn't realize you were planning to get rid of the version-specific
directories too.

Anyway, about that idea...are you sure you want to do that?  The perl
people should have a pretty good reason why they went that direction
despite the trouble it's causing to people.  It is often not a good
idea to revert what the original authors are doing.

Do you remember when emacs' lisp files went from lib/emacs to
share/emacs a few years ago?  The mule people didn't like that so when
they released their patched version, they kept things in lib.  Well, a
few years later, they decided they should follow suit too, and now we
have a huge mess of stuff scatterred about in lib/emacs and
share/emacs.

Just an observation from the outside.  I know nothing about perl5
development, so apologies if I'm way off base. :)

 * Apologies. I was working from a base of ignorance and speed - I'd
 * like to get perl5 into 3.0 ASAP, and I thought that a step forward
 * was thrashing out the ports issues.

"Thrashing out" is fine, but let's do that by discussing it first, not
breaking a whole bunch of ports, ok? :p

 * Er, not quite. :-) Your work will be very useful in making the 3.* perl ports
 * (and the 2.2.8 ones) work properly.

Ok.  I'll attach the diffs for devel/p5-* stuff.  The will install and
deinstall without a single warning with the bsd.port.mk patch I posted
last night.  I also changed some @dirrm's to "@unexec rmdir 2>/dev/null
|| true"'s to get rid of warnings.

They should work fine by just changing the "PERL_VERSION" and
"PERL_VER" variables in bsd.port.mk when perl is upgraded.

 * Here is my proposed scheme:
 *
 * Perl5-distributed library stuff goes in /usr/libdata/[{alpha|i386}-freebsd/]*
 * Perl5 ports go in /usr/local/libexec/perl5/[{alpha|i386}-freebsd/]*
 *
 * How do you feel about that?

You mean they all go directly under those directories with no
versions?  I guess that's ok, but hard to tell, things are so
scattered right now.

Also, the manpages should probably go to /usr/local/share/perl5.
"lib" was already a little out of place but they definitely don't
belong in "libexec".

Satoshi