Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:17:58 -0800
From:      andi payn <andi_payn@speedymail.org>
To:        William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hacking broken ports

The rest of your question has been answered, but:

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 23:00, William O'Higgins wrote:
> I found that there was only on reference to the filename in the
> Makefile, so I changed it, and then I generated an MD5 on the file that
> I had and put it into distfile.

Instead of manually generating the MD5 and editing the distfile, you can
fix the Makefile, delete the distfile, and do a "make makesum" and it
will be built for you automatically. (Similarly, if for some reason the
README.html has to be updated, just delete it an "make readme".)

Otherwise, you're on the right track.

Also, in addition to checking that nobody's already submitted this,
reading the Porting handbook, and submitting your fix via send-pr, you
should probably email the package maintainer directly. In fact, you
might want to do this first--it's possible the maintainer is about to do
this, or has already tried and run into problems that she can tell you
about before you hit them, etc.--and/or maybe she knows where you can
get the previous version of the tarball.