Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:10:05 -0400
From:      "Yevmenkin, Maksim N, CSCIO" <myevmenkin@att.com>
To:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: kerneld for FreeBSD

[...]

> > > This is, IMO, a good idea.  I certainly don't want some
> > > smartass daemon
> > > unloading a module just because it thinks it should. 8)
> >
> > another option in config file? something like ``do_not_unload''?
>
> No.  Modules shouldn't be unloaded automatically.

but why? :-) what is wrong with that? it would be so nice to have small
GENERIC kernel and bunch of modules. kernel will start, identify all
hardware (pci/pnp) and than load appropriate modules. the only problem
here is old hardware :(

[...]

> > i do not agree :-) code wants device
> driver/interface/filesystem/????.
> > code should not care about module name. of course it is
> better to have
> > name convension, but i think this is not the case. :-)
>
> This is debatable; mount, for example, knows the name of its
> plugins.  So
> does PAM.  Kernel modules are just plugins that go somewhere else.

let say i'm a third party vendor. i developed new hardware and driver for
FreeBSD (of course KLD module). i do not want to give my source
code to anybody. so you have the following options:

1) go ahead and try to convince me to use the same name convention
2) just ignore this hardware/driver/vendor
3) wait until somebody writes an ``open source'' driver
4) try do something to make in work (could be as easy as rename)
5) ???

thanks,
emax