Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:08:06 +0100
From:      Jon Otterholm <jon.otterholm@ide.resurscentrum.se>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICMP-floods

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>>> The information you've provided strongly suggests either problems
>>> with the netmasks being used, or a routing loop, or some combination
>>> of both.
>> I have checked netmasks and they are all on the same network. There
>> should not be any routing involved in the communication between these
>> hosts.
>
> OK.  Care to show a "tcpdump -ntv icmp" illustrating the problem...?  :-)
Nope :-)

I dug a little deeper into this. It seems like my problems are far more
extensive than I first expected.

I did not mention earlier that all if's are vlan-based sub-intefaces. It
seems that if I move admin-if's on my routers to a different physical if
than the one with the default route, all weird time-exeed/redir are gone
and all traffic on my Nagios-machine are OK.

It seems allmost as if my routers can not hold apart inbound traffic
destined to different sub-if's on one physical if. Can this be it? I
have checked my topology from all around now and I can not find any
routing loops.

For example: Router1 has it's default route connected to em0.10. With
admin-net on em0.20 I get my icmp-floods. Moving admin-net to em1.20
makes the icmp-floods go away.

A possible bug in if_vlan?

//Jon